Summer Musical Theater is a summer day camp for student's ages 4 – 19 interested in singing, acting, and dancing.
June 20 thru July 16, 2016
The first three weeks students train and rehearse. The last week ( July 11 – 16 ) students perform at The New Hazlett Theater.
- Broadways Juniors (age 4 – 7)
- Pre-teens (age 8 – 12)
- Teens (age 13 – 19)
The 2016 SMT productions are:
- Sweeney Todd Teens
- Little Mermaid Jr. Pre-Teens
- Selections from Young Frankenstein Broadway Juniors
Students in the Performance track spend their mornings attending classes in dance, acting, dynamics and vocal performance. In the afternoon, students participate in rehearsals for one of the two fully produced shows that will be performed during the fourth week of the program.
Teen Students wishing to enroll in dance emphasis will spend their mornings in intensive study of jazz, ballet and tap. Then in the afternoon they will join the performance track to rehearse for the show that will be performed during the fourth week of the program. Audition required for acceptance into this program.
Children ages 4-7 will study the basics of ballet, tap, acting, group voice, and performance. No audition required for acceptance into this program.
Rates and Schedules
|Rates and Times are guaranteed for SMT 2016|
Mon-Fri, 9am - 5pm
A.M. Classes Only, No Performance
Mon-Fri, 9am - 1:30pm
Dance Emphasis *
Mon-Fri, 9am - 5pm
Mon, Wed, Fri, 10:30am - 12:00pm
Space is limited. A $100 Deposit will hold your space.
Early Bird Discount **
Eligible on all registrations paid in full by June 13th, 2016
(-$30.00 for Broadway Jrs.)
* You must choose Performance or Academy Track with the Dance Emphasis Option.
** Early bird Discount applies only to Dance Emphasis, Performance Track, and Academy Track Registrations. For Broadway Juniors, the Early Bird Discount is $30.00.
Auditions / Orientations
Parent Orientation is June 18 or 19 at 8:45am (choose one)
Auditions are held prior to the first day of classes in order to make casting decisions for all productions as well as level placement for all dance classes and acting by skill level.
Song: Prepare 32 bars of a Broadway standard.
Dance Placement: You will be taught a combination during the audition. Please bring dance clothes (or clothes you can move in) and jazz shoes (or soft-soled shoes or socks).
Dance Placement and Song
Sunday, June 19, 2016 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Dance Placement and Song
Saturday, June 18, 2016 8:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Teens, Pre-teens, and Broadway Juniors will each perform three times the final week.
Technical and dress rehearsals will be held during the day on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Performances will be Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of the final week of Summer Musical Theater.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where is the camp located?
- The camp is located on Main Street in Pittsburgh's West End. Free parking, convenient central location, 100 yards from the West End Circle. Three minutes to downtown.
- Is space limited?
- We limit our registration so that we may provide individualized instruction to our students. Due to the success and popularity of this program, registration fills very quickly. Your early registration is encouraged.
- Do I need to audition for the program?
- You do not need to audition to get into the program. Anyone on a first come basis may register for our program. The audition process is to determine placement and casting.
- What do I need to prepare for the audition?
- Teen students should prepare a song of 32 BARS OR LESS of a Broadway standard. Pre-teen students should prepare a song of 32 BARS OR LESS of a Broadway standard, and bring comfortable clothes and shoes to dance in. At the dance call, a faculty member will teach a combination (a short series of steps) which the students will then preform usually 3 or 4 at a time.
- I work, how early can I drop off my child?
- Our West End studio will open at 8:30 AM to accommodate working parents with this need. We stay open until 5:30 PM, and ask that all children are picked up no later than 5:30 PM. If a child is picked up after 5:30, a $20 fee will be assessed, per child, for each occurrence.
- What does my child need for class?
- For Acting, Voice, and Performance class, students will need a three-ring binder with pockets and pencils. Street clothes
are acceptable attire.
For Dance, female students should wear a leotard and tights with jazz shoes. Male students should wear properly fitting white t-shirts and sweatpants, tights, or shorts. ALL STUDENTS MUST BE COVERED TO AT LEAST THE MID-THIGH.
- What about lunch?
- Students can pack their lunches or they can order their lunch for approximately $5/day. There is a refrigerator and a microwave available in the student center. There are also vending machines with water, soda and snacks.
- What are head shots?
- As an actor, the most important tools you will need are 8x10 photos of yourself called head shots. To this end, we are supplying a photographer at a greatly reduced cost to take the students' head shots. This is in addition to the tuition. Appointments will be made during the first week of camp.You will receive more information on this the first week of camp.